While the summer months mean fun and play for some kids, 21 percent of children in Florida are currently experiencing food insecurity. When school lets out for summer break, many children are left without a consistent source of food, adding to the other struggles they face like development and health. Studies show kids who don’t get enough food to eat are more likely to repeat a grade, experience developmental impairments in areas like language and motor skills, and have more social and behavioral problems.
Our Feeding Florida food banks are dedicated to providing access to healthy and nutritious food for the 906,470 children in Florida who experience food insecurity. One way our food banks provide for hungry children is through summer feeding programs. These programs offer a wide range of options for parents to provide food for their kids during the summer months, from mobile food pantries and drive-thru food deliveries to grab-and-go meal packs.
Below are links to help you find food this summer provided by one of our network food banks. In addition, here are some key resources:
- You can find meal programs near you by texting the word FOOD to 877-877, thanks to our friends at No Kid Hungry. (You’ll get a message with nearby locations; data and message rates may apply).
- Calling the USDA Hotline at 1-866-348-6479 is a great way to find free summer food service programs in your area.
- You can locate your local food banks and search by zip code or state using the Feeding America food bank locator to contact the food bank nearest you. Even if the food bank looks far away, our food banks work in all 67 Florida counties, partnering with local pantries and meal programs closer to your home.
Feeding America – How to find summer food>>
Summer BreakSpot – Get free kids meals>>
Learn more about the Summer Feeding Programs at these Feeding Florida Food Banks:
- Serving Broward, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Palm Beach Counties
- Serving Bay, Escambia, Holmes, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Walton, Washington Counties
- Serving Calhoun, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Jackson, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Taylor, Wakulla Counties
- Serving Baker, Bradford, Clay, Duval, Flagler, Nassau, Putnam, St. Johns Counties
- Serving Citrus, Hardee, Hernando, Highlands, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sumter Counties
- Serving Brevard, Lake, Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Volusia Counties
- Serving DeSoto, Sarasota Counties
- Serving Indian River, Martin, Okeechobee, St. Lucie Counties